There is no dearth of pleasant surprises that welcome you when you step into Himachal. In fact, each hamlet hidden in the remotest nook and corner of this land of natural abundance holds a great reservoir of excitement and fun
Himachal Pradesh is a northernmost state proper in north-western Republic of India, and offers much for those looking to experience the West Himalayas. While it does not claim the highest peaks in the range, there is plenty to do aside from mountaineering. Its name literally means “Abode of Snow”. It border the Disputed territory of Indian-administered Kashmir to the north of it respectively.
- Shimla — the state capital and once the summer capital of the British Raj is a cool and charming Himalayan outpost. Major attractions include the Institute of Advanced Studies aka Vice Regal Lodge (the summer residence of the Viceroy during the Raj), along with numerous Raj-era buildings dotting the Heritage walk on The Ridge. It is the biggest city in Himachal Pradesh.
- Bir — a small town with a large Tibetan community and several Buddhist monasteries.
- Dalhousie — a sleepy little town which retains its Victorian charm.
- Dharamsala — the home of the Dalai Lama and India’s largest Tibetan community, and a major Buddhisit center.Now the 2nd capital of H.P.
- Kullu — District HQ of Kullu district, a few km south of Manali. Manali is tehsil of Kullu district.
- Manali — a buzzing and popular hill station in Kullu District. A good base to acclimatise if heading further in Lahaul & Spiti or towards Leh. The last big town for preparing for any adventure in the higher mountains.
- Jogindernagar — popularly known as Electric City or The City of Powerhouses, the town has scenic hill resorts and tourist attractions nearby.
- Keylong — a small town and HQ of Lahul & Spiti district. It lies on the way from Manali to Leh. Last petrol pump (gas station) of Manali-Leh highway is here.
- Bilaspur — First city in Himachal Pradesh on the way to Manali. Main attraction is Govind Sagar Lake. It’s hot in the summer and cold in winter.
- Sundernagar — first town of Mandi District on way to Manali. Main attraction is Sundernagar Lake.
- Mandi — District HQ of Mandi district. Major town. Main attraction is Revalsar Lake.